Friday, March 4, 2016

An Unplanned Finish

I think it is a rule that when someone brings you a pile of scraps and some orphan blocks, you have to drop everything and make them into a quilt!


Some of these brown 16 patch blocks were rejected in my friend's quilt.  From the other scraps and leftover strip sets she gave me, I was able to squeak out enough blocks to put together this little quilt.


I didn't have enough brown fabric to use in all the blocks so I made a few scrappy squares to sprinkle around. I ended up with just two 2.5" squares leftover after completing the quilt top.



 After quilting her large queen size quilt (that no longer had brown in it), I "stole" the trimmings from the backing and pieced them all together to make a piece big enough for the back.  Luckily the fabric hid all the seams.  Some chocolate brown Kona solid worked perfectly for the binding.

Whew....Now I can get back to all the other things I should be working on!



Linking Up:

Crazy Mom Quilts (Finish it up Friday)
A Quilted Passion 





24 comments:

Robby said...

I love this probably more than any of the RSC brown projects I've seen so far. To be fair, those are not done, but you really made these scraps into something that shows them off. Well done.

Dolores said...

You could use up the two leftover squares in the label. It's a great finish.

Brenda said...

I always think someone else's scraps are the best! I would have dropped everything too to play with that fabric.

Anonymous said...

I love this! And I always feel compelled to finish other peoples left overs as well. I think we can see others' projects and see things they can't and vice versa. Great finish!

Libby in TN said...

Simplest is bestest! I'd have done the same.

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

Two quilts out of one. That's awesome. Impressive use of brown in this quilt.

Jayne said...

Oh those friends and their scraps! Sometimes you have to drop everything for a side trip, your side trip turned out great!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

What a lovely quilt from leftovers and scraps. Waste not want not.

Turid said...

As a lady of good ideas, you did this perfectly. Great quilt.

CapitolaQuilter said...

I love the difference that a few scale change blocks can make. The finished brown binding is perfect.

JanineMarie said...

Yum. I've always loved chocolate and brown together. You made such a pretty quilt out of "rejects!"

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That was a good diversion. Very pretty.

Vera said...

Cool! Congrats on your unplanned finish :)

Mary Marcotte said...

How much fun that must have been! I love getting a grab bag of whatever. It seems that no matter what, there's a little something wonderful in the mix. You definitely got extra lucky and were very resourceful. I can't believe that you had only two little squares left! What a great finish--and all free! The best kind!

Kathleen said...

Awesome save!!

cityquilter grace said...

sooo adorable and thrifty! no fabric left behind!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

This turned out beautiful!
surprise finishes are the best

Helen in the UK said...

Great solution to the 'not quite enough' problem! You've made a great quilt :)

Unknown said...

This are not my colors, but I love this quilt!!! So funny to read how yiu used every little bit!! Grteat job! Congrats with this finish.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Yummy quilt! So beautifully scrappy.

Jasmine said...

I completely agree with your unspoken rule. That is what happened to me last year. This turned out great! And I think the scrappy blocks are my favorite.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your rule!! Your quilt turned out great!

Cheryl said...

I really like that rule! Great finish.

Linda Smith said...

Good thing you didn't have enough brown for every block. The scrappy green blocks just make it POP. Congrats.

01 09 10