Sunday, October 16, 2016

Oh Scrap! : Fabric Pull

Last Friday, Tisha at QuiltyTherapy released the first part of her Charming Plus Quilt Along.  Because I am playing along, I thought I would share the fabrics I pulled for my quilt.




My backgrounds are going to be black and white prints with turquoise, yellow and lime green for the plus symbol.  I want to only use two fabrics in each block so I needed to pull some of my larger scrappy chunks.



Many of you may not consider these scraps, but I keep any large chunk smaller than a fat quarter that can be folded on end in large drawers.  I sort by type and then color.  I always try to use my smaller scraps first but if I need a certain color, I can always pull from here.

 At what point do you consider a piece of fabric a scrap?

*******************************
Now it is time to share what you are using your scraps for.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!

23 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I guess I consider anything a fat quarter size or under scraps. I keep all pieces that are large enough to fold in boxes on their sides stacked in two rows so I can see them , they fq's and under in these boxes - when they get small enough that they can not be folded well anymore they get cut into squares or strings and put in boxes marked with the size - right now I have enough 2 inch squares I believe to make a whole quilt with.

Libby in TN said...

Wish I had time to do the quilt-along. Maybe I can catch up later. In my world, anything less than a FQ qualifies as a scrap.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I used to think of small pieces as scraps too - the kind that is too small to fold - but I have heard that fat quarters are also scraps. With that meaning, pretty much all I have are scraps since I rarely buy bigger pieces. I have a few for backings, but that's it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I'll keep anything down to 2-inches square, well sometimes smaller if I have a a crumb quilt going. I consider fat quarters part of yardage, and anything smaller is a scrap.

Kate said...

Love the colors you've pulled for the quilt along. It's a scrap if it's less than 10" across. At that point, I usually cut the left overs into strips and add them to that set of scraps.

Jayne said...

Hmmm...I don't have a particular size I keep. If it's solids I keep nearly any size. Prints I'm likely to let go of small pieces easier.

SandraC said...

I guess once I cut into a fat quarter I would be consider it a scrap.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Scraps are probably less and a FQ when I can't fold it with the organized others - although I have a basket of "bits" which are anything including weird shapes as small as 2". Have fun with the QAL

Cathy said...

Anything less than a FQ is a scrap to me. I don't buy precuts but if I did I would not consider them scraps. I keep anything down to about 1.5 inch square which I use in postage stamp quilts.

My scrap chunks aren't quite so neatly organized as yours and probably never will be. I just throw chunk scraps into a milk crate.

Cathy said...

I forgot to say that anything smaller than 1.5 inch pieces go into my "mulch pile" because I have a lot of gardens!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh wow, most of my print stash is probably smaller than a Fat Quarter, so maybe most of my stash is scrap? LOL

Chantal said...

Lovely fabrics you picked. It will be an interesting quilt. I used to think scraps were the leftovers of other quilts. Now, I consider FQ as scraps. When I am done with a larger piece and the edge is uneven, I square it up. I add that piece to the scrap bags. Enjoy the new QAL. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

i love those colors you picked for your plus quilt. I'm still thinking about that one, but might use my Christmas fabric stash. I mostly buy in fat quarters anymore, so when I cut into them, them I definitely have scraps!

AnnieO said...

Great colors! I love that plus quilt. I have a repurposed tall lingerie type chest I keep fat quarters and odd pieces in, and have a drawer system for smaller strips and squares, these are all sorted by color (a few are by type, CW, BW) Then there are a couple of tubs with larger 1/2 yard and larger yardage under my cutting table. Love being surrounded by fabric in my sewing room.

Vera said...

Mmm that larger drawer looks fine to me :))

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Cynthia! You have gorgeus colours there! There is no scrap too small for me. I try not to finish any fabric to have as much as possible variety in my stash. x Teje

Sewing Sue said...

I'm with those who say smaller than a fat quarter is scraps. But I try to be organized about things. Pieces that are WOF get cut into 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch strips and stored in bins. Anything not WOF gets cut into squares of 2, 3.5, 5 or 6.5 inches and stacked in bins/drawers. For a pattern that calls for those sizes if the plan is scrappy, I'm ready. I also cut light neutrals that are smaller than a half yard into 2 and 2 1/2 inch strips and box those up separately for sub-cutting as needed.

I try to kit things up for myself, and my 'parts department' contains bags of four-patch and nine-patch blocks for 'seed' when you want a top in a hurry.

There always seems to be a bin of things waiting to be cut. Does it multiply when you're not watching?? LOL!

Podunk Pretties said...

How low will I go? If I can make a dime sized applique circle I keep it. Any smaller than that is trash. There's one drawer in my stash for all these little bitty pieces.

Vivian said...

Like your colors for the Plus Quilt! I also define a scrap as anything less than a fat quarter that's not already destined for a specific project. Great to see so much scrappy goodness gathered together!

SarahZ said...

love your palette for this! a lovely choice for winter work, eh?!

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a fun pile of fabric. I joined the fun too. Thank you for the link!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Hi there - my first linkup with you. Hope you don't mind if I combine linkups and hops.
I keep my scraps or remnants in a similar manner as you, in a plastic tub organized by color.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I have scraps of all sizes, with the bigger chunks folded much like yours. I sort by color and store them in plastic shoebox bins. I try to keep the scraps contained to the bins, but am not successful! :)

01 09 10