Friday, February 2, 2018

A Little Improv

This project started life like many of my projects do....because I was putting fabric away!

I was moving some fabric out of my sewing room and putting it away into my fabric closet and I was drawn to some lovely turquoise and green fabrics.  Soon I was pulling a stack and adding in some gray prints getting inspired to make a little quilt.




I don't often make improv quilts but that is what this fabric wanted to become.  This one measures about 40" square and I really enjoyed putting it together.



I didn't realize until I had finished the top that many of these fabrics are from crazy mom quilts' Good Neighbors collection.



I had just enough of an older Ty Pennington hexagon fabric for the backing.  More striped fabric was used for the binding.



I quilted a "topographical" design in a light gray thread.  I wanted the quilting to have soft edges and I didn't like the idea of something round.  It was fun to do - the quilting takes you all over the place if you are like me and want to do it as continuously as possible.

This really was a fun little distraction.  Now it is back to working on some of the in-process quilts that are scattered about my sewing room.  Maybe I can get one of those finished before I get pulled away by another pretty stack of fabrics!

Enjoy your weekend!



Linking Up:

20 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That happens to me all the time -- except I just end up with a pile of fabric and no project to show for it. Still, I think playing with the fabric is half the fun!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Very eye appealing quilt. They all play nice and work as one unit. Great job!

Kathy E. said...

Such a fun distraction! I love improv projects like this that just let your mind and fabrics work together to create something pretty. The quilting is just perfect!

chrisknits said...

So bright! Lovely combo of colors.

Clare M said...

This is gorgeous Cynthia. Love the colours and your improv style. Might have to be brave and try that one day. Sometimes too, a little distraction is good for the soul. Hugs.

Vicki in MN said...

I just love how you just stop and make something because the fabric was sitting out, LOL And you might have just sparked an idea for me to file away. I have a lot of gray scraps from all the snowman table runners I did for Etsy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is pretty and fun! You do such a wonderful job of putting great colors together, and I love the improv stripes. Nice finish!

Snowcatcher said...

What a great distraction! It turned out beautifully, and it's a finish! Win/Win!

Janice Holton said...

Such a great quilt! Cindy, did you have something that was your inspiration for those colors, or mostly just the fabrics themselves that inspired you?

Louise said...

Spontaneous play time is what keep quilting fresh, isn't it? Your improv is fun and fresh! And your quilting reminds me that I want to try that topological motif. I've got a small piece to quilt this weekend, so I'll use topo on that :)

Pamela Arbour said...

I always enjoy seeing your creativity. Thanks for sharing.

paducahquilter@gmail.com said...

I've never seen topographical quilting before, but I love, and therefore have decide you are a genius!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jayne said...

Well, well, well! Look at you! This is pretty darn great! I love the colors you choose! I love improv as you well know. For me it's the 'puzzling' that's the fun part! You did an amazing job...amazing...especially since this isn't something you do often! I'm gonna have to keep an eye on you!!

jann said...

Very attractive! This should count as putting the fabrics away...after all, they are now out of your pile and drawers.

Barb Neiwert said...

I love that you threw a curve into your improv piece! And great use of color combos. Another fun way to use up those scraps!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh what a cool quilt!! It reminds me of an improv nine patch in a way.

Cathy Tomm said...

Yes start stuff like that because I was petting fabric. Great little quilt with interesting quilting.

gayle said...

I get kidnapped by stacks of fabric, too, but then by the time I get a coupld of blocks done *another* stack of fabric pulls me off in a new direction and another project. I admire you for actually getting your squirrels done! And so beautifully, too!

Sandy Panagos said...

I love being distracted by fabric that wants to become a quilt. What a great little quilt!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a fun quilt and I really like the quilting motif you chose.

01 09 10